Photo of Jacob J. Beausay, Sara C. Nichols And T. Jeffrey Beausay.
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  → Motor Vehicle Accidents

Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys In Columbus, Ohio

Accidents create real problems. Who pays for the damage to your vehicle? What happens when unexpected medical bills start to pile up? How do you know whether the insurance company is being fair with you? When should you hire a lawyer?

These are common questions for people who have been involved in a crash. You can rest assured that we have handled thousands of these cases, and we have the experience to answer all these difficult questions for you.

There are many types of accidents and each requires an experienced attorney. We have years of experience handling all types of motor vehicle crashes, including:

If you are injured in a crash, we are here as a resource.

Below are questions that we frequently receive from clients.

I’ve been involved in a car accident. What do I do now?

Here are some general tips on things to do following a motor vehicle accident:

  • If you have insurance on the vehicle you were in at the time of the accident, you should notify your insurance agent of the accident, and confirm the insurance coverage available to you to cover your losses.
  • Get a copy of the crash report; you will probably receive multiple copies from lawyers (and chiropractors) soliciting your business.
  • Follow the advice of your doctors. Make sure you attend all appointments and comply with all physical therapy and other recommendations of your physician.

Each case is unique, so we urge you to call and ask us anything. We’re here to help you.

What is a “statute of limitations”? Why does it matter?

A “statute of limitations” is the time within which a person has to file or otherwise settle a legal cause of action. If you don’t file or settle your claim within this time, you may be forever barred from pursuing it. There are very few exceptions to statutes of limitations; for this reason, it is important to know what they are. It’s best to consult with an attorney if you have questions specific to your case.

Personal injury, two year statute of limitations
Medical malpractice, one year statute of limitations
Civil assault and battery, one year statute of limitations
Wrongful death, two year statute of limitations

When should I get a lawyer after a car accident?

Unless your claim is entirely straightforward with no chance of litigation, it is best to get a lawyer involved as soon as possible. He or she can help you with all aspects of your claim/case, including investigating the details, negotiating with your insurance company, talking to the other driver’s insurance company and determining whether you have cause for a lawsuit.

Should I get a lawyer after a car accident that was not my fault?

Yes, you should. If you believe litigation might be necessary, you will want to get an attorney to start investigating right away. Even if you believe your insurance claim will be paid, insurers regularly try to underpay or deny claims in order to make money. Having a lawyer represent you shows you are serious about your claim.

What should I NOT say to my insurance company after an accident?

Your insurance company is not always working in your best interests, because the company makes more money when it limits and denies payouts. Therefore, you should avoid saying any more than you absolutely have to about fault for the crash (especially if you may have been partially at fault). You should also avoid giving official statements before speaking to an attorney. Do not say you were not hurt unless you have already been examined and cleared by a doctor.

Who pays for the damage to my vehicle?

Everyone who owns a vehicle is legally required to carry insurance. Assuming both drivers have the required insurance, vehicle damage will likely be compensated by one or both insurers, depending on coverage details, fault for the accident and other factors.

How do I know whether the insurance company is treating me fairly?

You often cannot tell whether you are getting a fair settlement offer unless you have an attorney representing you. Most of the time, insurers will try to pay as little as possible for a claim. If the settlement offer you receive does not cover your medical bills or vehicle damage, you can assume you are not being offered what your claim is worth.

How can I prove my pain and suffering?

Documentation in the form of medical records is crucial, regardless of whether your case goes to court or settles without the need for litigation. Always have a doctor examine you after a crash to fully document your specific injuries. Pain and suffering is somewhat subjective (compared to say, a broken leg). But some injuries are well understood to be painful and to require healing time. Linking your pain and suffering to your diagnosed injuries is an important step.

What happens when unexpected medical bills start to pile up?

Litigation takes time, and medical bills often come due well before a case is resolved. But you may have several options if you keep lines of communication open between your attorney and the medical providers. Keep copies of all bills and share them with your attorney. You may be able to defer payments, send bills to insurers directly or work out other options to avoid having bills going into collections and damaging your credit score.

Will I have to reimburse whomever pays my medical bills?

Usually, yes. This is called “subrogation.” Subrogation means reimbursement. For example, if your health insurance company pays a medical bill, they will expect to be reimbursed out of the settlement. Same for automobile insurers (medical payments coverage), government entities (Medicaid, Medicare) or whomever pays your bills. If you receive a subrogation notice from an insurance company or government entity, you must forward the notice to your lawyer.

What compensation might be available to me if I’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence?

Since it is impossible to turn back the clock, we are here to assist you in pursuing financial compensation for your injuries. There are two broad categories of financial compensation: damages for your economic losses and damages for your non-economic losses.

Economic losses are tangible losses – those losses that can be objectively measured. Economic losses may include your medical expenses, rehabilitation and other related expenses, and loss of income. You must be able to prove economic losses through documents (bills, receipts and wage statements), expert testimony, and the like.

Non-economic losses are those losses that are incapable of being objectively measured. Non-economic losses may include pain and suffering; emotional distress; permanent disability; and disfigurement. Ohio law limits recovery for non-economic losses, with few exceptions. Our lawyers are experienced in ensuring that we’ve captured all losses associated with your injury. Call us so we can help you.

How long will my case take to resolve? Is it necessary to go to court?

The time it takes to resolve a case depends on a number of factors. Most importantly, we usually will not recommend settling a case until our client has stabilized medically. That may take weeks or months following an injury. When you have stabilized, and once we have obtained your most recent records, and assuming we have all the medical records, medical bills, loss of income information, etc., we then can roughly estimate the case value and see if our evaluation is similar to the insurance company’s. You, of course, have the ultimate say in whether your case is settled and for how much, but your decision should be made with the advice of your lawyer.

It may or may not be necessary to go to court. Settlements are favored because they are immediate and take the risk out of the case. If the case is not settled, we will need to file suit, and this normally drags the case out for a longer period of time. If suit is filed, you can expect a trial date about 18 to 24 months from the date of filing, depending on the county in which the case is filed. The case can settle at any time during that 18 to 24 months, but if the parties cannot agree to the case value, you will need to try your case before a jury. Jury verdicts are difficult to predict, but they are usually fairly conservative. In other words, jury verdicts are lower than you might expect. This is another reason you should try to settle your case if the offer is reasonable.

Call Us At 614-529-3476 Today To Get Started

At Beausay & Nichols Law Firm, we have the experience combined with a proven track record of success in motor vehicle accidents. We will advocate for your rights and ensure the best possible outcome. Our goal is always to maximize your recovery.

We offer free consultations and do not get paid unless we recover compensation for you. Get in touch with us at our Columbus office by calling 614-529-3476 or emailing us. We will be there when you need us.