Life-threatening levels of carbon monoxide at a hotel in Marysville, Ohio, injured 16 people on January 29, according to media reports.
The problem occurred at the pool area of the Hampton Inn hotel. Dispatchers began receiving calls about the incident at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, according to Marysville Police Chief Tony Brooks. Some callers reported loss of consciousness, while others reported dizziness and burning in the back of their throats.
Eleven victims were hospitalized and at least two were treated in hyperbaric oxygen chambers. Six children were hospitalized.
Levels of carbon monoxide in the pool area measured above 1,300 parts per million (ppm) in the pool area and in lesser concentrations elsewhere throughout the hotel. Sustained exposure to carbon monoxide concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm may result in disorientation, unconsciousness and death, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The source of the carbon monoxide was confirmed to be the pool’s heater, but further details have not been released about why this happened.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that binds to hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a substance in red blood cells that allows blood to carry to oxygen throughout the body. Carbon monoxide thus affects the body’s ability to deliver oxygen throughout the body. The specific effects on the body are based on the level of carbon monoxide and the duration of exposure.
Carbon monoxide is produced by “malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters; engine-powered equipment such as portable generators; fireplaces; and charcoal that is burned in homes and other enclosed areas,” according to According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
If you or a loved one has possibly suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, contact the Beausay & Nichols Law Firm in Columbus at 614-529-3476.